CHARGED Part 1: Charged With Power Baptism of the Holy Spirit Introduction Matthew 19:13 NLT 13 One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could lay his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples scolded the parents for bothering him. 14 But Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.” 15 And he placed his hands on their heads and blessed them before he left.
- In our culture today – I believe we have an all new awareness to power.
- With these personal computers/phones we carry – we each have become more highly aware of what percentage we are charged to.
- EX: The dreaded 20% left – shift to low power mode!
- EX: Modern tools, gadgets, devices – function off of a rechargeable battery
- It is symbolic of our Christian walk in this life.
- One day we are soaring in our walk with God
- Two days later we feel lifeless and empty
- WHAT HAPPENED?
- We forgot to recharge our spiritual batteries!!
- Today: Too many Christians are trying to fulfill the mission of Christ without the power. Without being fully charged!
2 Timothy 3:1-5 NIV But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people. 1 Corinthians 4:20 For the Kingdom of God is not just a lot of talk; it is living by God’s power.
- Today I am going to be teach very fundamental truths about walking in the charged power of God.
- Some churches and church leaders don’t / won’t talk about it. Many even believe in it the spirit filled life – but they are reserved, timid, and shy away from it.
- BALANCE: FROM DAY ONE I HAVE SAID – We want the authentic power and presence of God without being weird, spooky, or flakey.
AS PASTOR OF THIS CHURCH:
- We are going to rightly divide the scripture and walk down the middle of the road.
- QUESTION: How many of you believe the entire Bible? That ALL of this book is intended for our benefit?
- GOAL: Grow deeper, Stretch HIGHER, Go further in our walk with Jesus like never before!
CHALLENGING SUBJECT FOR SOME:
- We tend to be critical or negative towards things we don’t understand.
- What we don’t understand – we tend to prescribe as weird, not of God, or even call it of the devil.
- Fear is the result of the unknown.
- Confusion due to varying beliefs, misinterpretations, etc..
- Open your heart today – and the next few Sundays
- CURIOUS: How many of you have been baptized with the Holy Spirit and pray in other tongues as part of your prayer life.
TODAY – Charged With Power!!!
- Throughout Jesus’ ministry we see him functioning in the power of God.
LET’S LOOK AT THE LIFE OF JESUS John 6:38 NLT For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will. Matthew 4:23 NLT Jesus traveled throughout the region of Galilee, teaching in the synagogues and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom. And he healed every kind of disease and illness. Acts 10:38 NLT And you know that God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. Then Jesus went around doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. John 14:12 NLT “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. Hebrews 13:8 NLT Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
2. The power of God enables us to fulfill the mission of Jesus.
Jesus told us where it would come from . . . . John 16:5-7 NLT “But now I am going away to the one who sent me, and not one of you is asking where I am going. 6 Instead, you grieve because of what I’ve told you. 7 But in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don’t, the Advocate (Helper / comforter/ teacher/ standby/ Holy Spirit) won’t come. If I do go away, then I will send him to you. John 16:13-15 NLT 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. 14 He will bring me glory by telling you whatever he receives from me. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine; this is why I said, ‘The Spirit will tell you whatever he receives from me.’
- The crucifixion and resurrection take place
- Jesus meets with the disciples.
John 20:21-22 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.”
- DISCIPLES WERE BORN AGAIN!!
- The Spirit WITHIN
- We receive the Holy Spirit when we are born again.
- A Deposit is made.
- GOD SAYS: “I want to move in with you!!”
- Holy Spirit is deposited on the inside of us.
- He lives within us and is our advocate, comforter, our helper.
- God’s love you is so great he didn’t want you to be alone.
CHARGED – With Disciples Again ACTS 1:4-5 NLT Once when he was eating with them, he commanded them, “Do not leave Jerusalem until the Father sends you the gift he promised, as I told you before.5 John baptized with water, but in just a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”
- Jesus challenged us to take a secondary step of faith after salvation.
- Symbolism of the two baptisms
- He told the disciples to WAIT!!!!!
- Don’t pass GO. Don’t pray for the sick, don’t witness.
- EX: Lightbulb – Without power it cannot fulfill it’s purpose and destiny.
- The baptism of the Holy Spirit was a prerequisite for operating and flowing in the power of God.
- EX: light bulb – The power is what gives it PURPOSE!!!!
- YOU fulfill your purpose when empowered by the Holy Spirit!!
ACTS 1:8 NLT But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” GREEK: “Dunamis:” force, specifically miraculous power, ability, abundance, power, strength, (mighty worker of miracles) Acts 6:8 Stephen full of faith and power did great wonders and miracles
- BEFORE you go and witness to tell others about me
- BEFORE you go and lay hands on the sick
- BEFORE you begin to minister . . .
- BE – BAPTIZED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT
- The Spirit within comes upon us to empower us to do the works of Jesus.
- Release the power within!
- Release the power of grace to strengthen you when you are weak.
- Release the power in prayer.
- SOOOOO . . . the disciples wait . . . not too long . . .
ACTS 2:1-4 NLT On the day of Pentecost all the believers were meeting together in one place.2 Suddenly, there was a sound from heaven like the roaring of a mighty windstorm, and it filled the house where they were sitting. 3 Then, what looked like flames or tongues of fire appeared and settled on each of them. 4 And EVERYONE present was FILLED with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages (tongues), as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.
- Greek: “Filled” — To fill, to be permeated, saturated, drenched, To fulfill, supply.
- The gift of the Holy Spirit is intended for EVERY follower of Christ.
- This was NOT a one-time experience to a select group of people or considered optional.
- Remember what we said about Salvation – We receive the Holy Spirit
Two things happen: We release the Holy Spirit and power to flow through us and we receive the ability to communicate with God in a supernatural language.
- Withdrawal / Fountain
John 7:38-39 NLT Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, ‘Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.’” 39 (When he said “living water,” he was speaking of the Spirit, who would be given to everyone believing in him. But the Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus had not yet entered into his glory.) [PARAPHRASE] Acts 2:5- NLT 5 At that time there were devout Jews from every nation living in Jerusalem.6 When they heard the loud noise, everyone came running, and they were bewildered to hear their own languages being spoken by the believers. 7 They were completely amazed. “How can this be?” they exclaimed. “These people are all from Galilee, 8 and yet we hear them speaking in our own native languages! 9 Here we are—Parthians, Medes, Elamites, people from Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, the province of Asia, 10 Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, and the areas of Libya around Cyrene, visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism), Cretans, and Arabs. And we all hear these people speaking in our own languages about the wonderful things God has done!” (15 different languages) 12 They stood there amazed and perplexed. “What can this mean?” they asked each other. 13 But others in the crowd ridiculed them, saying, “They’re just drunk, that’s all!” Peter Preaches to the Crowd 14 Then Peter stepped forward with the eleven other apostles and shouted to the crowd, “Listen carefully, all of you, fellow Jews and residents of Jerusalem! Make no mistake about this. PPT- V15 15 These people are not drunk, as some of you are assuming. Nine o’clock in the morning is much too early for that. 16 No, what you see was predicted long ago by the prophet Joel: 17 ‘In the last days,’ God says, ‘I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy. Your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams. 18 In those days I will pour out my Spirit even on my servants—men and women alike— and they will prophesy. Acts 2:37-39 NLT 37 Peter’s words pierced their hearts, and they said to him and to the other apostles, “Brothers, what should we do?” 38 Peter replied, “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 This promise is to you, to your children, and to those far away—all who have been called by the Lord our God.” VERSE 41: Those who believed what Peter said were baptized and added to the church that day—about 3,000 in all. EX: Peter:
- Who denied Christ 3X,
- Get behind me Satan,
- walked on water but sunk,
We only see evidence of the power of God and miracles taking place AFTER this spiritual baptism.
ONLY REQUIREMENT – BORN AGAIN
SPIRIT WITHIN —- SPIRIT UPON —
SALVATION – Spirit within.
Secondary experience — ACTS 2:1-13 ALL Filled
The gift continues to flow . . .
- Acts 4:31 NLT After this prayer, the meeting place shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. Then they preached the word of God with boldness.
- Acts 5:12-16 Many Miraculous signs and wonders, healings)
- The apostles performed many signs and wonders among the people. More and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number. People brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter’s shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by.
- ALL OF THEM WERE HEALED
(paraphrase) Acts 8:5-8 NLT (Phillip in Samaria – many miraculous signs) Philip, for example, went to the city of Samaria and told the people there about the Messiah. 6 Crowds listened intently to Philip because they were eager to hear his message and see the miraculous signs he did. 7 Many evil spirits were cast out, screaming as they left their victims. And many who had been paralyzed or lame were healed. 8 So there was great joy in that city. Acts 8:14-19 NLT 14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that the people of Samaria had accepted God’s message, they sent Peter and John there. 15 As soon as they arrived, they prayed for these new believers to receive the Holy Spirit. 16 The Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them, for they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John laid their hands upon these believers, and they received the Holy Spirit. 18 When Simon saw (what did he see?) that the Spirit was given when the apostles laid their hands on people, he offered them money to buy this power. 19 “Let me have this power, too,” he exclaimed, “so that when I lay my hands on people, they will receive the Holy Spirit!”
- Acts 9 Saul’s conversion 4 YEARS LATER
- 10 Ananias – Lord tells him to go and pray for Saul.
- 17 Saul site restored – filled with the Spirit
Acts 9:17-18 NLT So Ananias went and found Saul. He laid his hands on him and said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road, has sent me so that you might regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 Instantly something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he regained his sight. Then he got up and was baptized.
- Acts 10 Cornelius – God fearing man / Gentiles receive
- Calls all of his relatives and friends
17 YEARS AFTER CHRIST DEPARTURE Acts 10:44-48 NLT 44 Even as Peter was saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who were listening to the message. 45 The Jewish believers who came with Peter were amazed that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles, too.46 For they heard them speaking in other tongues and praising God. Then Peter asked, 47 “Can anyone object to their being baptized, now that they have received the Holy Spirit just as we did?” 48 So he gave orders for them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Afterward Cornelius asked him to stay with them for several days. ACTS 19:1-6 – PAUL
Luke 11:9-13 NLT “And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.10 For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. 11 “You fathers—if your children ask for a fish, do you give them a snake instead?12 Or if they ask for an egg, do you give them a scorpion? Of course not! 13 So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.”
- HEAD: PRAY and ask God to fill you with his Holy Spirit and power.
- HEART: Believe God’s Spirit and anointing are upon you. Devils are afraid of you. Sickness is intimidated when you’re around. You are soaked, drenched and saturated by the Holy Spirit.
- HANDS: Begin to live and allow God’s power to freely flow through you to minister to others. “Can I pray for you?”
PERSONALLY: I had grown up in church. I had heard for years – make Jesus the Lord of your life and live for HIM.
- I was a good Christian. But there was no life or excitement. Dull and flat
- There was no fire and passion!
- AGE 0F 16 – SOMETHING RADICALLY CHANGED MY LIFE.
- For the last 40+ years it has – transformed
- my prayer life,
- my worship time,
- my connection with God
- hearing and knowing HIS voice
- Communication –
- Wouldn’t be married to Kim, have my 3 kids, pastor this church
- DIVINE CONNECTION
- ministry to others.
- 2nd only to my decision for Jesus Christ – most powerful experience.
- THIS WAS — The day I was baptized in the holy spirit my life radically changed forever.
- I was 16 years old. Heard about the power of God. This “Baptism of the Holy Spirit”
- Not a lot of churches teach on it – or walk in the power of it.
- BUT – WE ARE GOING TO ADDRESS IT HEAD ON!
- I want to teach the WHOLE Bible – not just parts of it!
- ABOUT: “Taking your walk with God to the next level”
- I was hungry – “I WANT IT!!!!!”
- I was told by some – that speaking of tongues was of the devil?
- PEACE – burned in my heart.
- What good is a gun with no bullets?
- How effective is a car without gas?
- How useful is a drill without a battery?
- How will a lightbulb ever reach its fullest potential without power??
HOW EFFECTIVE / USEFUL IS A CHRISTIAN WITHOUT THE POWER AND PRESENCE OF GOD?